FUTURIST CAMP HAPPENS ONCE EACH YEAR. IS 2019 YOUR YEAR?
ABOUT FUTURIST CAMP
Starts August 19-22, 2019 at Camp Lakotah, Wisconsin and continues for six months with ongoing support and monthly discussions with global faculty.
What will I learn?
• Why most strategic plans fall short in preparing for the future
• How to develop a futurist’s mindset, so you can spot opportunities and threats that others miss
• Case studies from Fortune 500 companies, the U.S. military, cities, and small organizations who use foresight to innovate, adapt, and stay ahead of the competition
• How to facilitate a long-range foresight project with a broad stakeholder group - even people who don't buy into foresight
• Why people are afraid of the future, and how to make people comfortable using foresight
Small print: Yes, it's camp. You sleep in a bunk house. You use camp showers and toilets. You have access to canoes, a private lake, archery, fresh air, and acres of trees. You eat at picnic tables and sit around bonfires. There will be bugs. And frogs. And possibly a raccoon. You have a chef who feeds you delicious, seasonal food, plus staff and volunteers who will concoct a signature cocktail each night, make sure you're cared for, and are hell-bent on making sure you have a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
What are you waiting for? Sign up.
"The conversations were at a level that most people never have the opportunity to experience. From the content and camaraderie to the food and Camp environment, every single element of Futurist Camp is so much better than you expect."
- NICK O'BRIEN, ENTREPRENEUR, 2017 CAMP ALUM
CAMP BY THE NUMBERS:
30 attendees - small enough to know everyone and big enough to have a range of experiences and diversity
3 bonfires - one for every night you're sleeping in the woods
9 amazing meals, locally-sourced, prepared on site, and crafted with love by our chef, Pat Greene Roshi ("Roshi" means Zen Master)
5 expert instructors, including Futurist Rebecca Ryan
4 days in the woods of Wisconsin diving deep into the art and science of foresight
6 month of post-Camp instruction and coaching - including webinars and live discussions with leading futurists and practitioners from around the globe. Past faculty have included Fortune 1000 futurists, the head of the World Futures Society of the Netherlands, the authors of The Zen Leader and Teaching About the Future, and leading strategists from the Department of Energy
1 epic workbook of materials, tools and resources
0 powerpoints, conference rooms, or dried-out bagels
"Camp was a pivotal point in my career, and I reflect on it often as a helpful intervention in my life at that time."
- JAMIE BERGLUND, CEO, SPARK CDI, 2016 CAMP ALUM
WHO ATTENDS FUTURIST CAMP?
Past attendees' titles: Executive Director, City Planner, Budget Analyst, Chief Information Officer, CEO, President, City Administrator, City Manager, City Councilor, Vice President, Chief Innovation Officer, Marketing Director, Social Media Director, Regional Director, Founder, Professor, Director of Innovation, Director of Strategy, Director of Membership, Communications Director, Economic Development Director
Organizations who've sent a Camper: Alliance for Innovation, Arlington County VA, Association of Government Risk Pools (AGRiP), Charleston SC Chamber of Commerce, City of Altoona WI, City of Aspen CO, City of Beaufort SC, City of Charleston WV, City of Kasson MN, City of Philadephia, City of San Mateo CA, City of Tacoma WA, Cricket Design Works, Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, Filene, Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce, Hennepin County MN, Ho-Chunk Nation, Johnson Foundation at Wingspread, Lawrence County TN Chamber of Commerce, Lifeline Foods, Madison College, Madison Gas & Electric, National Association of Counties (NACO), San Luis Obispo Chamber of Commerce, Sauk County WI, Savannah Consulting, Stantec, SourceWell, St. Joseph MO Chamber of Commerce
"I have been able to apply the principles learned during Camp on a project here in the Chippewa Valley and I can tell you it works. In three meetings, using the process I learned at Camp, we were able to bring together a diverse group of stakeholders and come away with a very tangible plan for advancing and growing the region's creative economy. The process works, and it is fun."
- MIKE GOLAT, CITY ADMINISTRATOR, ALTOONA, WI & 2017 CAMP ALUM
READY TO PACK YOUR BATH TOWEL?
Participation is limited to 30 campers. Sign up today!
Includes all materials, lodging, and meals plus six-months of post-camp instruction and coaching. That's about $600 per month. Campers pay for their own travel to/from Madison, Wisconsin.
Save $500 per camper when you bring a colleague. Use discount code: buddysytem at checkout.
Questions? Contact our Camp Director Gregg Potter:
"I had never used a tool like strategic foresight, and for me it was a game changer. I still long for more experiences like I had at Camp, with smart people, learning and working together."
- BEN THURGOOD, ASSISTANT HR DIRECTOR OVER CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT, TRAINING & ORG DEVELOPMENT, CITY OF TACOMA, 2017 CAMP ALUM & 2018 CAMP CO-FACULTY
SOUNDS GREAT. HOW DO I SELL THIS TO MY BOSS?
Excellent question. Start with this blog by Camp's founder and cut and paste this next bit into an email:
The 2019 Futurist Camp curriculum includes:
1. The six steps of Strategic Foresight
- Frame the domain
- Scan for forces and trends
- Design scenarios
- Identify crossover issues
- Envision your preferred future
- Backcast your plan
Campers will develop their own foresight project and apply these six steps. You’ll leave camp with a draft plan that you’ll refine and execute after camp. In the six months following Camp, you'll get one-on-one and peer coaching.
2. Developing a futurist’s mindset
In the mid-1970s the CIA began to fund research about how to remove cognitive bias and improve agents’ intelligence. Today, professional futurists benefit from over 40 years of cognitive bias research and training. You’ll learn:
- The mindset of the professional futurist
- Your score: how does your mindset compare to the best, and how can you improve?
3. Using stories to shape the future
Many people are afraid of the future. But no one is afraid of a story. Scenarios, or stories, are the third step in the foresight process and often the most powerful. Campers will:
- Deconstruct stories about the future: what makes a good scenario great?
- Develop alternative stories for their project and receive feedback on how to improve their story’s impact and effectiveness
4. Strategic Doing
Foresight helps you develop the long-range future. Strategic Doing helps you take action in the next 30 days. In this module, Campers learn:
- What Strategic Doing is, and how it can be used to develop momentum and action plans after the first three steps of foresight
- How to facilitate a Strategic Doing process
I HEARD I CAN EARN A CERTIFICATE?
Yes. Two certificates are available:
Campers earn a Certificate of Completion after they complete Camp Lakotah in August and participate in all six months of post-Camp training.
Campers earn a Certificate of Achievement when they complete requirements for the Certificate of Completion and when they complete a foresight project within 12 months of Camp.