How to Measure Quality of Life
Today, we are proud to release our community Quality of Life indexing and handprinting tools to the world, for free, with the Creative Commons license.
Here are the resources you need to collect measurements on your community’s Quality of Life, compare them to other cities, and generate your handprint.
- An Excel spreadsheet that includes a worksheet for each of the seven indexes: Vitality, Earning, Learning, Social Capital, After Hours, Cost of Lifestyle, and Around Town. Each worksheet includes each of the specific metrics within the index. [Please note: The data is standardized based on the mean of each metric, then scored to a 10 point scale. If you have questions about the standardization process, contact NEXT Generation Consulting, info (at) nextgenerationconsulting (dot) com.]
- The second page of the Excel spreadsheet is “HP Measures and Directions.” This is the secret sauce, where all the data for the indexes can be found. Once you look up your data (and that of your benchmark cities), you can enter it in the cell for that measure, in the appropriate index.
- Please note that you can only generate your Quality of Life scores WHEN YOU COMPARE AGAINST OTHER COMMUNITIES.
- The Handprint Creator app. (If you have any problem opening this app, try this: open this folder and right click on Handprint 17. Allow the app to open.) After you know your and your benchmark communities’ scores in each index, you can input them into the Handprint Creator and voila (!) your handprint is illustrated. These illustrations are VERY helpful because they quickly enable a community to see how it rates in each index compared to benchmark communities.
You are free to:
- Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
- Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.
We at NEXT Generation Consulting, Inc. cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms:
- Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, e.g. “Created by NEXT Generation Consulting, Inc.” provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
More: Watch the 30-minute webcast, to see an overview of the tools and how to use them.